Saturday, April 18, 2009

Do it Bright


I'm having an identity crisis when it comes to weddings & color.

I originally thought I would keep it simple: rich rustic wood tables, glowing white candles, sparkling lights everywhere, and the beautiful great outdoors (and that's all - no centerpieces, no "linens", no flowers or frills. well, maybe some white rose petals...). Which was an easy approach because on the whole, I don't do color. Oh, I love a red handbag here & there or a bright bracelet paired with gray, but mostly I live in the world of rich, irresistible neutrals. So for some depth to the celebration's decor, part of me has been imaging warm mushrooms, smokey grays, espresso browns, dusty taupes, champagnes, charcoals, and blacks as accents...

Maybe it's the change in season, the sunshine, the energy in the air, but I am loving color & pattern right now. And this is a festive celebration after all. Instead of just two colors plastered everywhere though (which I think can become flat? it makes your eyes tired), I've started to imagine a multitude of patterns & prints (vintage-inspired, of course), like the hodgepodge of tchotsky shops where no single item outshines the others but yet they all play well together...

(And if I can't find the courage to do the color thing, maybe just bold prints in rich neutrals)

So, for a girl who's closet is mostly black, here's to exploring the bright thing.




























These are all textiles from Denyse Schmidt, Paula Prass, Joel Dewberry, Mod Green Pod, Michael Miller, Erin McMorris, Heather Baily, Amy Butler, Sandi Henderson, Erin Michael, and P&B Textiles.

Fabric cuts could be used as runners on the rustic wood tables - with white settings? Or maybe more pattern with vintage china? Or maybe photo back-drops like these.





A fabric photo booth could also be easy with these curtains from Urban Outfitters.

2 comments:

tim said...

Having been to many weddings in the past couple of years I can say that the backdrop thing with the fabric would look very cool. So many times you have the traditional black and white affair which is good but it definitely gets drab at some point.

To talk about about colors for the wedding party - I'd suggest bright pink and/or light blue. Something out the early eighties at a cheapo wedding... ;)

What I want to know is why is white and brown (seen above) not more popular - nice combination.

Fox & The Feather said...

First of all, you might be color blind. Be sure to look into that. But yes, I'm liking your idea of Wedding a la Saved by the Bell (you would love that, wouldn't you.) No, but seriously, you are kind of the wedding expert so keep the tips coming! :)